Friday, May 13, 2005

Friday The 13th

My mom was born on a Friday the 13th, and it was always good luck for her. In fact I've always had fun happy good fortune type things happen on this day. Even though I was born on the 10th of the month, I have always bathed in the luckiness from mom's birthdate. I guess I never have really looked upon it as being dangerous or bad luck to anticipate some ill will of sorts occurring. Just another holiday to have fun with.
Paraskevidekatriaphobics, this is the phobia of Friday the 13th. I researched this a bit and found that it was mostly based on a history of bad religious things occurring; Eve tempted Adam with the apple, the flood in the bible, the confusion at the Tower of Babel, Christ died on the 13th, 13 were present at the last supper. Friday came to be called Witches Sabbath, for it was believed that there were 12 witches and the 13th one was the devil, 13 evil spirits up to no good.
It even goes back farther; In Norse mythology there were 13 present at the banquet of Valhalla when the son of Odin was slain, which led to the downfall of the gods. 1000 BC Hesiod wrote that the thirteenth day is unlucky for sowing, but favorable for planting.
Some folks won't drive, work, set a wedding date, or eat in restaurants on this date.
This superstition has intrigued me a bit, when fairly intellectual folks get crazy over this. I guess you just have to have fun with it. Shucks, no more friday the 13th's for 2005.
I think I'll drive to town, plan a fun summer party, get some work done, and go celebrate by bobbing for apples and enjoy a good meal at a nice restaurant.

No comments: