Saturday, January 08, 2005

Getting My Room Back!

We have a beautiful home that we built many years ago. The "downstairs" never got finished due to our having all of our junk stored there while we finished the rest of the house. So this space has been filled with piles of projects, and stuff that we haven't even seen in years. You know, that one item that we might need some day, then when we do need it we can't find it so we end up going out to buy another one anyway....
Well, I don't know what is different with my thoughts, motivation or whatever I'm feeling, but I like it. I've been going through this junk and throwing it out with vigor, how empowering this activity is. It's funny to go through and see these things that at one time I thought were so very important to keep. This morning I started smelling a bad smell. So I'm taking a break and playing on the computer before I go investigate any more. Last week, I saw a mole lumber by. So I know that critters have been living down here, they'll have to move back outside.

2 comments:

David said...

Thanks for your thoughtful comment, Jan. I guess I have to say that I am not particularly sad, despite the way it sounds. Sometimes I think too much, or to use your word, agonize over things too much. It is sometimes true of me as someone once said of Henry James, "he chewed more than he bit off."

We have a lot in common, I think. I have a wonderful wife, who has grown and changed with me those 35 years, and we have three wonderful and tremendously focused children, now grown, out of school and on their own. Just that achievement, for whatever it might owe to me, would make me happy.

We had a holiday much like yours sounded what you described in your posting "Bye..." All three children were here (two live fairly close by, but the oldest is in San Francisco, so we see him just a few times a year), and we did a lot together.

We have a really old house, and we are converting one of our rooms to an exercise room. There's still plenty of room for our children and their friends.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Sicily over my spring break at the end of March. We travel together beautifully, always have, and are both busy reading books and maps to help us decide what path we should take once we arrive.

Thanks again for thinking of me.

David

Mo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.