Monday, June 06, 2005

Spotting Bullshit From Miles Away

Our Clint Barmes of the Rockies who plays short stop has broken his clavicle.
On the news tonight he was talking about how he broke it when he slipped on some steps while carrying groceries. He went on to say that he didn't know it was broken for a time and when he found out he was bummed. That's pretty painful how does one not realize that it's broken?! Is it the fact that he's an athlete that has a higher pain tolerance?
I suspect he was doing something that he shouldn't have been doing, but gave this lame story to cover. I wonder how much money he got in his contract. Maybe I should cut him some slack. It is possible that it happened the way that he says, just because who would make up a story like that.
I'm sorry that it happened, but come on fess up with the truth!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow mom, I haven't checked your blog in a while. you're posting like crazy! I love cherries now, don't woory. Also tomatoes and some amount of spicyness. I bought about three bags of those cherries myself, two in Steamboat.

Anonymous said...

*snicker* Can't remember names but I can remember web pages.

I can totally see how someone can break a bone and not realize it, particularly if they're athletes. Both times I've had a serious fracture, I didn't believe it until I saw the x-rays - one of them was when I broke my jaw as a child, and didn't even know it until I had some dental x-rays for my wisom teeth before college. Sure enough, the neck of my jaw is calcified in an unmistakable naturally-healed fracture. And then there was the time I thought I'd sprained my ankle or something when a horse landed on it. Several hours later I was convinced to go to the hospital, and the x-rays showed a compound complex fracture of the third and fourth metatarsals - with the displacements occuring in opposite directions, meaning I fractured when I hit the ground and fractured when the horse landed on it.

Then again, the last time I went bullriding I was an idiot and didn't place myself properly, and I got a stress fracture in my wrist - and you can bet I felt *that.*

When you're an athlete, especially at his level, your pain tolerance can be pretty high. Without a displacement of a fracture, you might mistake it for routine aches and pains or for a simple bruise.