Thursday, July 14, 2005

Ceremony At Fort Logan



Attended services today, a proud silence. My heart goes out to this family, and my thoughts and prayers are with them during this very difficult time.

Navy SEAL Danny Dietz, 25, was one of three commandos killed in a firefight June 28 when they were ambushed in the mountains of eastern Afghanistan while searching for a high-ranking terrorist. One member of the special-forces unit eluded capture and told authorities that Dietz had saved his life. For heroism in combat, Dietz was posthumously awarded the Silver Star, one of the military's highest honors.
Dietz was badly wounded as he fought off more than 30 attackers advancing on him down a rugged mountainside, killing "numerous" enemies, authorities said Monday.

SEAL Memorial at the Punchbowl (Picture and info via another blogger, I just wanted to pay tribute to these brave warriors on my blog.)
SEAL's Crosses HOOYAH!

There were 11 pairs of UDT Duck Feet swim fins tips down, ankle straps crossed, sitting beneath a desert painted M-4 rifle with its muzzle downward topped by a desert cammie helmet. A SEAL's Cross. Five of these had a Hawaiian lei placed around the rifle to signify the five sailors from Hawaii that had perished. On a table behind the rifles were shadow boxes for each man containing their full compliment of military awards, rank insignia, and a tri folded American flag. Above each shadow box was a large photo of each man. On another table just to the side was another display consisting of five sets of UDT Duck Feet draped with a UDT life jacket and topped with an old style oval shaped SCUBA facemask that had the name and BUD/S class number of each man engraved on the glass. Leaning on each was a Navy K-bar knife that had each man’s name and BUD/S class engraved upon it as well.

A very tragic time. To these brave young warriors may you rest in peace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I read your info on Danny Dietz. I was in his BUDS classes and was a good freind of his as we kept getting rolled for our injuries. I would like to know if you know his family well enough that I could send them a little something. If not something to his place of resting.. Danny was awsome! He was an animal at the obstacle course especially. He will be missed! Please let me know. jeffery.j.dann@navy.mil

Janet said...

Anonymous,
Below are most of the sites with info on where contributions can be made with a specific memorial site just for Danny:

http://www.frogfriends.com/

http://www.specialops.org/

http://www.nswfoundation.org/

http://www.legacy.com/denver/Guestbook.asp?Page=GuestBook&PersonId=14517541&GuestPage=1

http://www.fallenheroesmemorial.com/oef/profiles/dietzdannyp.html


I trust you made it through the BUD's program. This world has become a battleground of sorts that can be a very dangerous place. Thank you for all that you are doing to protect us and I hope that you stay safe.
Janet

Anonymous said...

Janet,
I did not make ir through the program. I unfortunatly got med rolled 2 times then med dropped from the prgram. i've recieved 4 heria surgerys since I joined the navy 6 yrs ago. I'm no longer active duty but am employed by the Navy as a Navy civilian. I still contribute in onw way or another by working on the ships.
Even though I didn't make it through the program I wish I did. I am married with a 8 month old baby and would still put my self in harms way to be there for thoses guys. I'm not a frogman brother but felt like it when I heard of Danny's death. Thanks for the info.

Janet said...

Anonymous,
There are many ways to serve. Actually I feel that parenting is one of the most important jobs of all. Congrats on your 8 month old, and I do hope you stay healthy. Thanks for visiting my blog, I hope to hear from you again. Janet